Department of Health Office, Room 109
Town Hall, 2 Renshaw Road
Phone: 203 656-7320
Fax: 203 656-7486
Open Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm, closed Holidays
The Mission of the Darien Health Department is to:
Promoting a safe community and healthy environment to all residents and visitors,
upholding public health based regulations,
Protect the quality of life.
A Message From David Knauf, Director of Health
Welcome to the Darien Health Department website. It is our intention to use this space to provide you with up-to-the minute health information as well as provide conveniently available application forms for your use. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or coments. Good Health to you!
What Does The Health Department Do?
July 2014 Quarterly Report to the Board of Selectmen
Staff Contact Information:
- David A. Knauf, MPH, MS, RS
Director of Health
- Mindy Chambrelli
- Stephen Brueski
- Molly Larson
Public Health Nurse
- Elaine Kilbourn
- Caleb Moore, M.D.
Forms, Applications & Regulations: Click here
- Darien's "Health Fair - 2014" will be held at The Mather Center on September 27th.
- The next Food Handler Course - Sept. 18, 2014. Click here for more information.
- Centers for Disease Control, Weekly Feature - Did You Know?
Preparing for Emergencies
Emergencies can happen. When they do, the best strategy is to already have a plan in place.Get quick tips on:
- What Should I Do About a Sewer Line (or Septic System) Back-up into My House? Remember, if you lose electricity and your home is connected to a pressurized sewer system or you have a septic system utilizing a pump, you have limited storage capacity for waste water. Until power is restored, you must minimize the use of water or sewage could back up into your house, especially if you are on public water. If you have a generator, we advise you to make sure it powers the pumps.
Flu Prevention Program
- Flu shots will be available at the Health Fair to be held at the Mather Center on September 27th.
- Vaccine is NOT available through the scheduler at this time. Please check back later this month.
- CDC: Vaccine Q & A
- Need Immunization for Travel? Click here to find out where to go.
Food Protection Program
Food Safety Information
Indoor Air Quality
Radon Test Kits are available at Health Department offices - Test Your Home Today!
Lyme and West Nile Diseases - Awareness and Prevention
FREE - Tick Removal Kits available at the Darien Health Dept. in Town Hall.
Pool Safety (includes Condo Assoc. & Private Clubs)
Homes served by private wells get water from the ground. Water quality may change over time. It is recommended that homeowners have their water tested periodically.
Recreational Fishing and Shellfishing in Darien
The CT Bureau of Aquaculture is reminding recreational shellfish harvesters to bring a cooler with ice to the shore, and promptly place harvested shellfish on ice. Please visit www.ctgrown.gov/aquaculture and click on the link titled "Recreational Shellfish Harvesting and Vibrio" in red for additional recommendations.
Go to Fee Schedule, Applications & Regulations for Shellfish Application
Fish Consumption Advisory from the CT Department of Public Health
If your home has a septic system, all the wastewater from your home is being discharged into the ground on your property. A properly installed and maintained septic system should give you many years of service but there are some things homeowners need to be aware of in order to maximize the useful length of time such systems work. Costs of repairs and replacement systems can be well into the five figure range, so a little preventative maintenance can go a long way.
If you plan to remodel, add an addition, add a pool or outbuilding, Health Department approval is necessary. More information is available here.
General Information - FAQ
Advisories and Recalls
U.S. Department of Agriculture - Food Safety & Inspection Service
This page contains summary of data on active recall cases. After a recall is completed, it will be removed from this listing but will be included in the Recall Case Archive.
FSIS (Food recalls and advisories)
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (Recalls)
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products. Use the links below to the CPSC website where you can find information on over 4,000 product recalls and recall alerts, report a product, or search past recalls dating back as far as 1973.
CPSC's Recalls and Product Safety News Homepage (includes recalls for all products current and past months/years)
Infant/Child Product Recalls (not including toys)
Toy Hazard Recalls