Darien Health Department
Room 109,Town Hall
Phone: 203 656-7320
Open Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
A Message From David Knauf, Director of Health
Welcome to the Darien Health Department website. It is our intention to use this space to provide you with up-to-the minute health information as well as provide conveniently available application forms for your use. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or comments. Good Health to you!
Watch the Channel 79 Interview with David Knauf, Darien Director of Health
Mission of the Health Department is to: Prevent disease, by promoting a safe community and healthy environment to all residents and visitors, while upholding public health based regulations, which protect the quality of life.
Department Staff and Advisory Board of Health Members, Click Here
What Services Do the Health Department Provide?
Health Department Annual Report: 2014-2015
January 2016 - Health Department Quarterly Report to the Selectmen
Forms, Applications & Regulations: Click here
- Board of Selectmen has approved revisions to regulations pertaining to Food Service Establishments, Salons and Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems. Effective July 1, 2015
- Free Radon Test Kits are now available at the Darien Health Department - Test your Home today!
- Head Lice: What Parents Need to Know / It's That Time of Year Again
- Why You Should Thank Twice about Drinking Raw Milk
- Pollution Prevention Summer 2015 Newsletter from the Connecticut Dept. of Energy & Environmental Protection
Preparing for Emergencies
Emergencies can happen. When they do, the best strategy is to already have a plan in place. Get quick tips on:
- What Should I Do About a Sewer Line (or Septic System) Back-up into My House? Remember, if you lose electricity and your home is connected to a pressurized sewer system or you have a septic system utilizing a pump, you have limited storage capacity for waste water. Until power is restored, you must minimize the use of water or sewage could back up into your house, especially if you are on public water. If you have a generator, we advise you to make sure it powers the pumps.
Flu Prevention Program
Flu Vaccine is NOW AVAILABLE!
Click here for the flu clinic schedule or use the "Schedule Now" button to make an appointment with our nurse.
- Need Immunization for Travel? Click here to find out where to go.
Food Protection Program
NEW! Detailed inspection reports and the complete Rating history of restaurants may be viewed by following the steps below:
1. Review all steps below and then click here.
2. Select "Search Inspections"
3. Enter facility name you are seeking information for, then click on the "SELECT" button
4. When the Rating for the most recent inspection is shown, click on the establishment name and the
Ratings for the past year together with complete inspection results may be viewed,
Indoor Air Quality and Healthy Homes
Radon Test Kits are available at Health Department offices - Test Your Home Today!
West Nile Virus
FREE - Tick Removal Kits available at the Darien Health Dept. in Town Hall.
Pool Safety (includes Condo Assoc. & Private Clubs)
Homes served by private wells get water from the ground. Water quality may change over time. It is recommended that homeowners have their water tested periodically.
Recreational Fishing and Shellfishing in Darien
2015 Guide to Recreational Shellfishing in Connecticut
For more information, view the interactive Connecticut Aquaculture Mapping Atlas
Go to Fee Schedule, Applications & Regulations for Shellfish Application
Fish Consumption Advisory from the CT Department of Public Health
If your home has a septic system, all the wastewater from your home is being discharged into the ground on your property. A properly installed and maintained septic system should give you many years of service but there are some things homeowners need to be aware of in order to maximize the useful length of time such systems work. Costs of repairs and replacement systems can be well into the five figure range, so a little preventative maintenance can go a long way.
If you plan to remodel, add an addition, add a pool or outbuilding, Health Department approval is necessary. More information is available here.
General Information - FAQ
Consumer Advisories and Recalls
- Food Safety (US Department of Agriculture)
"FSIS - Food Recalls and Advisories" contains a summary of data on active recall cases. After a recall is completed, it will be removed from this listing but will be included in the "FSIS - Archives".
- Product Safety
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products. Use the links below to the CPSC website where you can find information on over 4,000 product recalls and recall alerts, report a product, or search past recalls dating back as far as 1974.
Consumer Product Recalls
Toy Safety and Recalls