Department of Public Works
Darien Recycling and Refuse Center
126 Ledge Road
Monday - Saturday
7:00 am - 2:45 pm
Darien Recycling Center Holidays and Operation Hours
Single Stream Recycling
Single Stream Recycling Guidelines
Darien Bulk Pick up Program News Release
Darien Household Hazardous Waste Day 2013
Household Hazardous Waste Day in Cooperating Communities 2013
Electronic Recycling News Release 02/10/11
Darien Recycling & Refuse Center Permit Fee Schedule:
- Residents without garbage collection: permit fee is $120.00, this entitles resident to two (2) permits, third permit is $40.00 (permits may be purchased on-line for existing customers only).
- Residents with garbage collection: permit fee $40.00, this entitles resident to two (2) permits, third permit is $40.00(permits may be purchased on-line for existing customers only).
- All seniors 65 and over (proof of age along with vehicle registration needed) are entitled to one (1) free permit per household, additional permits are $40.00 each (online purchase is not available).
- Seniors may receive one (1) free Recycling & Refuse Center Permit by mail, click here for details to apply.
- All residents in the Town Abatement Program ( must be pre-qualified with Tax Assessor's Office) are entitled to one (1) free permit per household additional permits are $40.00 each (online purchase is not available).
- There is maximum of three (3) permits allowed per household. Any lost replacement permits are $40.00 each. Permits are not pro-rated.
- *Recycling Center Permits must be affixed to the drivers side windshield to gain access into the Darien Recycling & Refuse Center or the Darien Swap Shop.
The 2013-14 Darien Recycling & Refuse Center Permits are now available for sale, the permits expire on June 30th of each year.
Commercial Dump Permits are valid from January 1st to December 31st of each year, the cost is $150.00 per year, permits are not pro-rated. To apply for a Commercial Dump Permit by mail you need to download and print the application, complete the form, include a check for the permit amount, and include a self addressed stamped envelope. Click here, to download the Commercial Dump Permit Application.
To receive a permit by mail or in person, please have the following documentation available:
- Copy of the vehicle(s) registration.
- Proof of residency (drivers license) if vehicle not registered in Darien.
- Check made payable to the Town of Darien.
- If you have a refuse hauler you must show proof (cancelled check or recent invoice) if applicable.
- Stamped self-addressed envelope (if mailed).
If you own property in Darien but do not reside here you must prove ownership (a copy of your Darien Property Tax, Mortgage, or utility bill).
* On-Line Darien Recycling & Refuse Permit Purchases Are for Existing Customers ONLY who have purchased a Dump Sticker Permit in the past and who's vehicle is already on file with the Department of Public Works. The new 2013-14 permits are available for sale at this time. The Residential Dump Permits expire yearly on June 30th. Please call 656-7346 if you need assistance with your online purchase during regular business hours.
Additional Information :
For information on disposing of hazardous waste, please call the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection at 860- 566-8843.
NOTE: Items with this symbol require Adobe Acrobat Reader - download free
Return to Public Works page