Darien Senior Programs - Open By Appointment Only
Director: Elizabeth Paris, Gerontologist
Program Specialist: Stacey Johnson, MSW
Clerk/Receptionist: Eileen Manhart
The mission of the Darien Senior Programs is to nurture the physical, intellectual, and social well-being of the senior community aged 55 or better by providing a comprehensive and coordinated system of services that enhance individual lives, promotes well-being, dignity and independence throughout the aging process and keep members connected and integrated into the community by collaborating with other agencies and organizations who provide support programs and social services to senior, thereby enhancing the independence and wholesome lifestyle for seniors in Darien.
TEMPORARY CLOSURE NOTICE
CLICK HERE FOR THE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
DRIVE THROUGH LUNCH PROGRAM
Chef Judi is cooking up delicious and nutritious lunches each week at the Mather Center for Darien Residents!
Directions: Drive through the Mather Center - stay in your car and meals will be brought to you!
Reservations for the whole following week: Call in Monday- Wednesday, the week prior between 8:30-11:30 at (203) 656-7490 to reserve your lunches
Pick Up: promptly at 12:00, line up begins at 11:45
Cost: $5.00 per meal - exact Cash or Checks only, (checks payable to DSP or Darien Senior Programs)
**If you are feeling sick in any way please do not come yourself- designate someone to pick up and don't forget your mask! Thank you for your cooperation!**
CLICK HERE FOR WEEKLY MENU
SENIOR FARMERS MARKET NUTRITION PROGRAM INFORMATION
Eligible seniors may receive discount vouchers for locally grown fruits and vegetables through the Connecticut Department of Agriculture.
Darien Human Services has just been designated as
a Local Coordinating Agency for the Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP). SFMNP
provides vouchers for locally grown fruits, vegetables, herbs and honey to eligible low income seniors.
Vouchers can be redeemed at any local Farmers Market. The Darien Farmers Market is held every
Wednesday from 10:00am to 3:00pm at the Goodwives Shopping Center parking lot, 25 Old King’s
Vouchers are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Vouchers are valid through October 30th
Interested seniors (60 years of age or older) must be Darien residents and have a maximum household
income of no more than 185% of the federal poverty level ($1968/month for a single person and
$2658/month for a couple). Proof of income is required. Please contact Darien Human Services at (203)
656-7328 Monday through Thursday 8:30 – 5:15 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Click here for virtual exercise and activity events
DARIEN Senior Programs at Mather Center- Suggestions
We miss you all and can’t wait to see your smiling faces!!!
Ways to stay Happy and Healthy at Home!!!
- Watch a movie/Netflix/video/Amazon prime video.
- Do something crafty-knit, crochet, make a collage, scrapbook.
- Write a memoir (template next page).
- Write a poem.
- Write a letter.
- Write a song.
- Give your brain a workout and play online games.
- Crossword puzzles-free printable (http://qets.com/crossword_puzzles.htm)
- Coloring pages/Not just for kidsJ many free printable sites.
- Meditate - Try lying down with your eyes closed, palms up and while focusing on your breath. Or spend 20 minutes sitting cross-legged and repeat a soothing word to yourself in your head. (The latter is more like transcendental meditation.)
- Call a friend, Skype, Facetime, Text message.
- Pamper yourself. Have a Cup of Tea, Listen to music.
- TED Talks.
- Find a project at home-dust your house, reorganize your drawers.
- Fix broken items.
- Go through old photographs and write on them (who, what)/organize them.
- Go through your old clothes and get rid of the ones you don’t want any more or fix the ones that are missing buttons etc.
- Go on YouTube learn a dance checkout an exercise/walking video. Call the center we will walk you through it.
- Go outside/plant a garden/relax.
- Gaze at the stars.
- Redecorate your space.
- Call a friend, family member, or neighbor.
- Make a bucket list of things you want to do when this is all over!
The monthly activity calendar is also available at the Center and at the Darien Town Hall.
Our programs are ever evolving - please refer to our monthly newsletter for the most up to date program offerings.
Exercise Classes:Yoga,Tai Chi, Ballet, Dance for Health, Pilates, Jazzercise, Low Impact Aerobics, Line Dancing, Feldenkrais, and Seniorcize(chair exercises)
Discussion Groups: Current events, Remember When, Short Story Discussion.
- Brain Twisters and Teasers
- Ten Cent BINGO
Language Classes: Italian, Spanish
Crafts: Knitting, Needlepoint, holiday crafts
Arts: Painting Oil/Acrylic/Water Color, Stain Glass
Monthly Health and Wellness Lectures & Financial Information Sessions
- Weekly Social Service Hours
- Other facilities include: a computer room, a lending library and a super wood-working shop.
The Darien Senior Program at the Mather Center is located at 2 Renshaw Road, Darien, CT 06820. Telephone: 203-656-7490.
The Center is funded by the Town of Darien and is open to Darien residents 55 years of age or older. The Center is wheelchair accessible.
Ask a CPA
Ask a Lawyer
Ask a Social Worker
Ask a Nurse (offered during blood pressure screening hours.)
Also, blood-pressure readings are taken on the first Tuesday morning of each month 9:30-11:00 (except from June to September) and the third Tuesday of each month 12:30-2:00.This service is offered through the visiting Nurse and Hospice of Fairfield County.
Caregiver Educational Support Group the 4th Wednesday of each month 1:00- 2:30.
Darien Senior Programs Online Registration
Town Hall, 2 Renshaw Road
Phone: (203) 656-7490
Open Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., closed Holidays