1/16/2018 - Flu Update for Darien Residents
Message from the Darien Health Department and the Health Office of the Darien Public Schools:
We wanted to take a moment to reach out to Darien residents and let you know are aware of an increase in the diagnosis of influenza in Darien and the surrounding communities. The Connecticut Department of Public Health has stated it is not too late to get a flu shot and a limited amount of vaccine is available at the Health Department office in Darien Town Hall. While there have been concerns raised about the overall effectiveness of the vaccine, experts say “some protection is better than none at all!”
Influenza is very contagious and is spread to others through tiny droplets when people infected with the flu cough, sneeze or talk. In an effort to keep everyone healthy, we appreciate your cooperation in the following for all communicable illnesses:
MOST IMPORTANTLY, STAY HOME:
• When you or a family member has a temperature of 100.4 degrees F, or higher
• Until fever free (temperature 100.3 degrees F or lower) for 24 hours without receiving fever-reducing medication such as Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
• When feeling unwell and appear to be sick, even in the absence of fever
• With diarrhea, and until diarrhea -free for 24 hours
• When vomiting, and until a minimum of 24 hours after vomiting ends
• When there is a severe cough that cannot be controlled/covered, or copious thick green/yellow mucous from the nose
• If diagnosed with Strep Throat and it has not been at least 24 hours since the first dose of antibiotics
• If diagnosed with influenza and still symptomatic while on Tamiflu
• Please be vigilant about hand washing with warm water and soap
• Encourage covering coughs and avoiding anyone with a cold or stomach bug symptoms.
• Use disinfectants or bleach to sanitize phones, keyboards, doorknobs and common areas/items to minimize the spread of germs and viruses at home.
• Replace toothbrushes after recovering from an illness.
To learn more about influenza signs/symptoms and treatment, please review the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/keyfacts.htm. And, always seek the advice of your health care provider when you are concerned about your or your family’s health.
Finally, please check the on-line scheduler at www.darienhealth.com to ensure vaccine is available.
Remember, the best way to prevent the spread of germs and illness is by frequent handwashing!
Alicia Casucci, APRN, CPNP, NCSN
Director of Nursing Services
Darien Public Schools
David Knauf, MPH, MS, REHS
Director of Health
Town of Darien
Darien, CT 06820
Follow us: www.twitter.com/darienhealth